Tea is probably the most widest consumed beverage on this planet other than water. It can be described as an aromatic beverage thats common among many cultures and is simple to prepare. The simple preparation process is by pouring boiling hot water over cured leaves of a tea plant.
The name comes from the Camellia sinensis plant which is a shrub native to China and India. The plant contains unique antioxidants and is broken into 5 different types. The 5 types are green black white oolong and pu-erh. The beverage is also known to help against cholesterol heart disease cancer and clogged arteries. This is do to the beneficial antioxidants flavanols flavonoids polyphenols and catechins it contains. Furthermore most of them help the digestion system with food intake and some help suppress pain and nausea providing a relaxation affect.
Here is a breakdown on the 5 types of tea and their health benefits
- Green tea is made with steamed leaves and it has a high concentration of EGCG. Green is probably the most talked about tea when it comes to getting over a cold or trying to feel better. The antioxidants that green contains are known to most likely help interfere with the growth of cancer in the body and lowers cholesterol. More over it is also known to prevent clogging of the arteries because it burns fat and counteracts oxidative stress on the brain. Drinking green also reduces the risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases as well as reduce risk of stroke.
- Black tea is made with fermented tea leaves. This is known as the wake me up tea because it has the highest caffeine content and forms the basis for flavored teas such as chai. Studies have shown that black may reduce the risk of stroke and can even protect lungs from damage caused by exposure to cigarette smoke.
- White tea is both uncured and unfermented meaning it is immature tea leaves that are picked shortly before the buds have fully opened. White is shown to have the most potent anticancer content compared to more processed. The powerful cancer killing antioxidant white contains is called polyphenols. Furthermore this tea even dates as far back as to the Ming Dynasty in China.
- Oolong tea is pronounced as Wulong and in Chinese translates to black dragon. White is actually a very beneficial tea because it helps speed up the metabolism which helps you loose weight by burning unnecessary fat. If you’ve ever heard about oolong tea before it was probably marketed as a weight loss supplement. Antioxidants from oolong tea were also found to reduce the risk of high blood pressure strengthen bones including teeth release stress and pump you full of energy.
- Pu-erh tea is made from fermented and aged leaves. Pu’erh tea gets its name from a town in the southwestern province of the Yunnan region. However even though tea is not grown in this town it was at one time a thriving market. Pu-erh is considered a black because its very dark and processed however its made with a few different steps. The leaves are picked processed and partially fired allowing the leaves to retain some moisture. The moist leaves are then piled so the natural bacterium on the leaves can creates a reaction similar to a pile of compost. Uniquely the tea is then aged underground in rooms or caves. The most significant distinction of this tea is that it gets better over time. These aged teas are looked at like an aged wine and sometimes can even date back 40 50 or 100 years. Pu-erh tea is also known to lower blood cholesterol soothe the body make blood flow easier and all that good healthy stuff the human body wants.
Rate, Review and Share Your thoughts on this delicious beverage in the comment section below.
Follow us on Twitter @RatePublic
Like us on Facebook